As fall begins to fade into winter, that merriest time of year is upon us once again: Pepero Day!!! Why? What were you thinking?
Last year, I prepared a cute little gift basket for my boyfriend, complete with a plush and homemade pepero. Since Pepero Day landed on a Sunday this year, and a very gloomy stormy one at that, I thought it would be kind of fun/ romantic to spend the day in and make some pepero together.
It’s really fun and easy to make pepero and serves as much more personal gift if you have the time. Come pepero season, many novelty stores like Kosney and Art Box stock up with special chocolates, toppings and packaging to create your own gifts. If you don’t live in Korea, you can still make your own pepero with stuff from your local supermarkets and arts and craft store. Here’s what you need:
- Chocolate/ Candy Melts
- Plain Sesame Sticks
- Chocolate Deco Pens
- Toppings (sprinkles, cookie pieces, nuts, etc.)
- Foil or Wax Paper
- Boil a pot of water. Place some chocolate or candy melts in a separate smaller bowl and then place it into the pot.
- Stir the chocolate frequently. Add a little bit of milk if the chocolate gets too clumpy.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the small bowl from the pot.
- Coat the sticks with the mixture then roll/ decorate with toppings. If you want to use the deco pens, let the dipped pepero dry first.
- Place the finished sticks on the foil or wax paper and let dry.
To make them into a cute gift, you can buy a gift box or decorative baked goods packaging and hand them out to friends, family or even coworkers. If you have a furry friend at home like I do, there’s no reason why he/ she can’t join in the festivities too. Why not buy him/ her a pepero chew toy, pillow or plush? Ah yes, Pepero Day is a holiday for all. So, get out there and show someone you care with a chocolate coated stick! Happy Pepero Day Everyone <3